SWIMMING LESSONS FOR BABIES
The swimming classes in the water with your baby are unique and magical moments: you will see your little one smile and have fun, and you will enjoy a very special moment together. It is a great opportunity to strengthen your relationship!
What is the objective our of BABY PENGUINS classes?
The main objective in our BABY PENGUINS classes is to maximize your baby’s psychomotor development in the water. Multiple neurological studies conclude that movement and physical activity have a direct impact on babies’ cognitive development, and everything we can do to encourage movement since early age will be beneficial for their growth. Our method, inspired by a recognized swimming school in Sweden, aims at stimulating the development of children at all levels – psychomotor, sensory, intellectual and social, and train them to feel safe, agile, competent and happy in the water.
How are the classes?
We are always singing in our classes BABY PENGUINS: this is because music and singing are fundamental elements in this children’s development stage: music helps the intellectual, auditory, sensory, speech and motor development of children. In addition, through the songs the babies relax and in Penguins we want to create a fun learning environment!
How do our classes for babies 0-3 years work?
- They are weekly classes of 40 minutes.
- We divide the babies into age groups. Baby Penguins 1 (1-12 months), Baby Penguins 2 (12-24 months), White Penguins (2-3 years)
- In all our facilities we maintain the water at the same warm temperature for your maximum comfort, with the best water quality, virus-free and with natural disinfectant. This is why babies can start swimming classes so young: it is safe.
- One adult will be in the water with their baby. It can be a different adult from class to class. During normal times (without Covid restrictions), another accompanying adult can see the class from outside the water.
- The PENGUINS teacher will always be in the water with you.
- Payments: the first payment is made by card and from the second month with direct debit SEPA. You will see that the first month the system calculates the proportional part of the remainder of the month. From the second month on, all fees are always the same regardless of the number of classes taken.
- In the Baby Penguins and White Penguins classes we give the option to cancel and make-up cancelled classes at a different time. For more information and answers to frequently asked questions, see here
You will love our classes and your baby will do great… sign up! 🙂
- You will find HERE all the reviews from our families and customers.
- You can sign up at any time at any of our facilities:
What do you have to bring to your class?
Accompanying adult: Towel, clean flip-flops, your swimsuit and a swimming cap.
Baby: towel. On the first day of class, you should buy the anti-leak swimsuit for your baby at PENGUINS to guarantee that the water is always healthy, therefore you do NOT have to bring water diapers.
When can your baby start swimming lessons?
The baby is ready to face the aquatic environment from the first day! At Penguins, we recommend starting when parents feel prepared, since it is important that the experience in the water be positive from the first day and that parents transmit safety to their children.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why is swimming so good for babies?
Early childhood stimulation in the aquatic environment brings babies significant benefits, in different areas: intellectual, psychological, emotional, motor, socio-emotional and organic. Many scientific studies confirm that this activity is very important in the psychomotor development of children:
- Stimulates the psychomotor and cognitive development
- Strengthens the cardiorespiratory system
- Promotes the development of the musculoskeletal system
- Improves intestinal mobility
- Promotes relaxation and contributes to better sleep
- Strengthens the emotional bond between parents and babies
- Helps socialization since classes are conducted with other babies and families in water
- Encourages baby’s autonomy and self-esteem
More information on “News”.
Which pools are suitable for babies?
- Water temperature should always be regulated between 31ºC and 34ºC, so that babies can feel comfortable in the water for the whole class. Babies have a thinner skin and a thicker subcutaneous capillary network, which is causing faster heat loss than adults.
- Ambient temperature is also important, and should always be set 2°C above water temperature level, in order to prevent colds.
- It is recommended that the pool is covered and heated.
- The pool should be specifically designed for teaching, ideally 1.20 meters deep, so that parents and teachers can comfortably hold the baby and practice optimal exercises.
- Babies should be dried and changed next to the pool, in order to prevent colds.
- Facilities must have adequate ventilation to ensure optimal air quality. Pools with UV lamps (med. pressure) and a good dehumidifier system guarantee a healthy atmosphere.
- The pool should have an adequate system to prevent acoustic noise and echo, which is tiring and affecting the baby.
- To avoid skin and/or eye irritation, it is recommended to avoid pools using synthetic chlorine. Salt Water Chlorination is a good alternative as it disinfects the water thanks to salt (used in very small amounts).
Our pool at Penguins meets all the above requirements: it has been specifically designed for babies and children.
As of which age will my child know how to swim?
When is it not appropriate to go to the pool?
Is it recommended to for a child to practice activities in water if he suffers from: 1/ Otitis, 2/ Asthma, or 3/ Atopic dermatitis?
Asthma: Asthma is a chronic disease affecting the respiratory system. Many pediatricians recommend the practice of physical activities in the water for asthmatic children since it does not cause excessive pressure on the chest, it is practiced in a humid environment, and increases breathing capacity.
Atopic dermatitis: is an inflammation of the skin which is also known as eczema: the skin of children who suffer from eczema presents a constant state of dryness. Swimming is adequate as long as the child’s skin is hydrated after each bath.
If my child has a disability, can he/she swim?
As of when is the baby ready to discover the aquatic environment?
At Penguins we recommend starting pool activities when parents feel ready: it is important that the water experience is positive as of the very beginning, and that parents convey a feeling of safety and serenity to their baby.
Our Baby Penguins Groups:
Baby Penguins 1
0 to 12 months
Accompanied by 1 or 2 adults. Dur: 40 minutes.
Baby Penguins 2
12 to 24 months
Accompanied by 1 adult. Duration: 40 minutes.
2 to 3 years
Accompanied by 1 adult. Duration: 40 minutes.